Trail has been designed to allow you to complete key actions and continue with your day even without an internet connection.
How does it work?
- Your device will display a message when you're offline
- Any actions you take will be stored in the memory of your device's web browser.
- Your device will show you how many changes it has stored in its memory.
- When you reconnect, these changes will sync with the Trail servers. As changes are saved, you'll see the number of unsaved changes reduce.
What can I do offline?
- View the Trail (list of tasks) for that day
- Complete or flag a subtask
- Enter data into a widget
- Leave a comment (text only)
- Mark a task as done
- Snooze a task to tomorrow
What can't I do offline?
- Access any of admin areas of the app: Activity Feed, Task Planner, Sites, Users Insights or Settings
- Access a previous day that isn't saved to your device's memory
- Add an on-demand task
- Access the Search and History function
- Change the filter applied to a Trail
- Open a Typeform widget
- Open an attachment on a task
- Add an attachment to a comment (e.g. a photo)
- Add or delete an additional checklist item
Completing mandatory fields:
- If a task is completed offline and a mandatory subtask or field in a record table is missed, the task will initially be marked as done.
- When your device reconnects, this task will be automatically re-opened.
How long can I stay offline before reconnecting?
- You'll need to be connected to the internet when you first load that day's Trail.
- You'll need to reconnect at least once a day.
- For the best experience, it's recommended to reconnect, even briefly, every few hours, we'll prompt you on every timeslot boundary (usually a few times a day).
- Trail is a live system for distributing information. Remaining offline for longer than a few hours risks showing out of date information.
- To reconnect you just need to establish an internet connection. There are no manual steps beyond this and the amount of data required to save changes is very small.
What should I do if my changes won't save?
- If your changes aren't syncing, check your internet connection
- If you're definitely connected to the internet refresh the page using your browser's refresh button
What should I do if I'm online, but can't connect to Trail?
- If you ever see the page not available offline message, but your device is online, you should try and clear your browser cache.
- Instructions for Android / Chrome devices
- Instructions for Apple / Safari devices
What devices are supported?
- Devices running the latest versions of Google Chrome and Safari are fully supported.
- Devices running the most recent version of Firefox, Microsoft Edge and other similar browsers may work offline but are not officially supported by Trail.
- Devices running Internet Explorer are not supported.
- If your device is not supported you will be presented with an error message when offline and will be unable to complete most actions.